5 Quick Insurance Tips when Starting a Trucking Business
- Get your DOT number even if you’re not ready to get your CDL yet, insurance companies are nervous about ensuring new authorities or new ventures.
- Check the insurance rating, not all insurance companies are created equal, check the rating of the insurance company on ambest.com.
- Get the right liability insurance amount, the FMCSA requires you to get $750,000 in liability insurance, but brokers have their own requirements for insurance, 99% of brokers require $1 million in liability insurance, $100,000 in cargo and reefer breakdown insurance.
- Don’t overlook the radius of operation, new companies will go out get an amazing insurance quote without realizing that they’re limited to a 250 mile radius.
- Get your insurance when you’re ready, but don’t wait too long or you will pay more for it, as the longer you wait, the more expensive it will be.